Bohermore National School
Bohermore National School is a co-educational primary school with a Catholic ethos and is under the patronage of the Archbishop of Cashel & Emly. `
Presently it is a 4 teacher school. There are 2 mainstream classrooms (- the Junior Room: from juniors to second class and the Senior Room from second to sixth class.), one special class catering for children with ASD class and one Learning Support/ Resource Teacher who is shared with another school. There are four SNAs working in the school and one secretary bringing the total number of staff to nine.
The “Old School” at Bohermore opened in 1859 and contained two rooms. One room was the classroom and the other was the teacher’s residence. There were also two fireplaces, one at the top of the classroom and one at the top of the teacher’s residence. There was no running water or ESB and therefore no central heating – only an open fire. Children brought fuel and turf to keep the fires alight and the turf was piled along the gable end of the school. This “Old School” is now home to the early morning drop-off, the preschool and the afterschool services catering for the children of the school and the wider community.
In 1991 the current building replaced a 2 classroom prefab building that was connected to the original old school. In 2020, an extension to the building was completed comprising of ASD Classroom with toilet and shower facilities, a withdrawal room, staff room, staff toilets and an office. This extension was build to the rear of the existing building.
In 1859 there were 53 pupils on roll when the school opened and today, 160 years later, in 2020 there are 30 pupils on roll.
Bohermore National School is situated at one end of the Parish of Ballybricken & Bohermore and is the last school in the western end of the Archdiocese. It is situated 5.8 miles from Limerick City Centre.